Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Eatin' Mussels in Brussels

Isn't it cool that that rhyme works out?  Let's get real, there aren't that many words that rhyme with "Brussels."  Well, unless you are a dummy, I'm sure you have gathered from the title that I spent last weekend in Brussels, Belgium.  I did not know much about Belgium before I left except that it was famous for waffles, chocolate, fries, and beer.  And Elizabeth had told me about this statue of a peeing boy. I'll get to that one.  Anyway, see below what I learned/did/ate in Brussels... enjoy!

We got there at about 10:30 Thursday night.  We took a train from London, and I slept the ENTIRE way. I was a sleepy girl.  So once we got a cab and our cab driver almost ran over two (2) people, we got to our hostel.  Our hostel was really nice- it was called Sleep Well Brussels, for anyone maybe planning a trip.  And we sure did sleep well.  We woke up the next morning around 10:30 and headed to get brunch.  We spotted a curbside cafe, just perfect for people watching. And oooh baby, look at what I got:

hands down, best hot chocolate. piping hot milk with a do-it-yourself twist! gonna have to recreate it this winter

a panini with parma ham and mozarella; side salad

After that, we wandered around to the Grand Plais.  On our way, we saw the beautiful stock exchange building.  

stock exchange

pics around the grand plais


the museum of brussels is in here (we went on sunday)

very ornate. apologies for the weird coloring

a typical belgian building. very cute
Next, we went to the statue of the little boy peeing (Mannekin Pis). I was expecting something HUGE because of all the many souvenirs available of this guy. He was just a little old thang!

tinkle tinkle
After that, we wandered around many shops... apparently Belgium is known for their lace, so I picked up some beautiful lacework.  And anyone with a brain knows that Belgium is known for its chocolates, so I bought plenty of those, too.

an old favorite



this store made is have Willy Wonka songs in our head all day

where we did a grab-bag of chocolates

We then headed to the Atomium. What is the Atomium, you ask? Well, it is an iron atom that is magnified 165 billion times. NERD ALERT! Just you wait, it gets better.


view from the top




For the next part of our Dorky Day, we went to Mini Europe. Mini Europe could be the coolest put-put course ever, but it's not.  It's basically a walk around model of all the big cities in Europe.  It has models on a 1:25 scale.  I told you, we are nerds. Just look:

look at me! I got buff

i thought this was weird. i think this was part of a scene from belgium. why?

you can't make me smile

ok, this pic and the one underneath it need an explanation.   behind me is a model of the circus in bath, where we went about 4 weeks ago. while we were there, we saw an asian do a really cool pose, so i was imitating it. step 1: stick your arms straight out

step 2: JUMP! 

look! i went to paris two weekends in a row... gotcha!

me standing on a vibrating platform that is supposed to be like the rumble of mt. vesuvius
gotta hold that tower up!

a real piece of the Berlin wall

look! i am a grape squisher with a really small head
Well after being globetrotters, we were famished.  Dinner time! 
pumpkin soup. perfect for that chilly evening

rabbit leg! a first for me. so tender and delicious

fries, of course

waffffffles with vanilla ice cream, chocolate, whip cream, cherry, and a fake leaf
We called it a night after that.  The next morning, we treated ourself to a nice breakfast in a really nice hotel.  I had hot chocolate and quiche Lorraine. Yummmm

fancy, eh??





Then, we shopped til we dropped! I hadn't done much shopping since I had been in Europe, and Brussels was having some major sales. But sheesh, I think all of Brussels was out that day... everything was jam packed and looked like a tornado had just hit the stores (think Black Friday style). Needless to say, that was exhausting.  We got ourselves a yummy waffle as a snack to soothe us.  Those things just cure everything!



Then it was nappy time. After that, we felt like new women! So we headed out to a scrumptious dinner.  We found this older part of the city that is where the butchers and fisherman used to prepare their meat. Now, it is an area with tons of restaurants. Well, it was interesting.  Picture this: me, walking through narrow streets, being hassled by restaurant hosts to come into their restaurants like they were nightclubs on Bourbon Street.  I received a lot of compliments that night, I will say that!  I was told, "oh wow, so beautiful, please come to my restaurant," "you color my world" <--- that was my favorite; and I even had someone just offer me his arm, assuming that I would take it and go into the restaurant with him.  Goodness gracious!  We finally settled on a restaurant that didn't have people outside begging you to eat there.  It was a lovely restaurant on the street corner.  I ordered mussels, and ate all of mine (white wine) and half of Zabeth's (garlic).  I was a hungry girl!



Sidney and I indulged in some wine, so we decided the 3 of us needed to check out the social scene of Brussels.  I mean really, when else am I going to have the opportunity to go to a club in Brussels?  Our waiter directed us to one called The Sphinx.  It was loud and tacky, so we left after 2 drinks.  When we got outside, we were told about this club that played "endless R&B." Sweet! No... apparently R&B means Lady Gaga and Katy Perry techno-type stuff? What? Oh well, we went anyway, and it was hilarious!  There was a raised platform in the middle with a man dancing.  Sidney compared this man to her Uncle Rodney.  He had some great do-si-do moves.  After admiring the aquariums and the very expensive drinks, we decided to stick around for a few songs and then call it a night.

fancy drink at The Sphinx... it had a sparkler woohoo!!!!
look closely, you can see uncle rodney and the aquariums

we forgot our clubbin' clothes... can't party too hard in a cardi


The next day, we packed up and headed to the Museum of Brussels.  It was okay.  It did have all of the costumes that the people have put on the Mannekin Pis, so that was interesting.  Then, we got a kebab! Yay! None of us have given in and eaten a late-night kebab in Oxford yet, so we had to treat ourselves. Mmmm Mmmm Good!  Then, we wandered around, went to a really cool antique flea market, relaxed in a park, and headed back to the train station.  Brussels, you were a nice, relaxing city, and I wouldn't mind seeing you again!

pretty park where we hung out


Next stop: London for a night, then Amsterdam!

-Barbara











No comments:

Post a Comment